This year, in recognition of World Alzheimer’s Day, the Alzheimer’s Australia Dementia Research Foundation, with the support of Alzheimer’s Australia and KinCare, organised a dementia research panel discussion titled Quality dementia care – what do we value?
Presented by Dr Norman Swan, ABC Radio National's Health Report host, the panellists included:
- Mr Trevor Crosby, Dementia Australia Dementia Advisory Committee Member.
- Dr Ron Petersen, Director, Mayo Alzheimer's Disease Research Centre and the Mayo Clinic Study on Aging.
- Professor Susan Kurrle, Geriatrician and Director, Cognitive Decline Partnership Centre.
- Professor Elizabeth Beattie, Director Dementia Collaborative Research Centre – Carers and Consumers.
- Ms Therese Adami, Chief Operating Officer, KinCare.
- Ms Maree McCabe, Interim Chief Executive Officer, Dementia Australia National.
READ – A fantastic summary article has been publised in the December 2016 Edition of Dementia News, which you can read here.
Meet some of Australia's dementia researchers funded through donations to the Dementia Australia Research Foundation.
This 3D animation (developed by the CSIRO) takes you deep into the brain to understand how plaque build-up on brain cells occurs during Alzheimer's disease.
Video transcripts are available here: http://www.csiro.au/news/transcripts/YouTubeTranscripts/2015/Feb/Alzheimers-Enigma.html
This year, during National Science Week (Aug 16-24), the Alzheimer’s Australia Dementia Research Foundation with the support of the Dementia Collaborative Research Centres, the ACT National Science Week committee, Questacon and the ABC network, organised a dementia research panel discussion titled Towards a World Without Dementia – Prevention, Cure and Care.
Paul Barclay from ABC Radio National led the panel on a discussion of questions such as how close researchers are to finding a cure for dementia? How can we reduce our risk of dementia? And where to next with dementia research?
- Ita Buttrose AO, OBE - Journalist, author and National Ambassador for Alzheimer’s Australia
- Scientia Professor Henry Brodaty AO - Co-Director, Centre for Healthy Brain Ageing and Dementia Collaborative Research Centre, UNSW
- Professor Kaarin Anstey - Director, Centre for Research on Ageing, Health and Wellbeing and Dementia Collaborative Research Centre, ANU
- Dr Zoe Terpening - Clinical Neuropsychologist, Brain and Mind Research Institute, Sydney Uni
- Christine Bryden - Dementia advocate, author and living well with a diagnosis of dementia
This clip was downloaded from ABC Big Ideas website - the original can be found here - http://www.abc.net.au/tv/bigideas/stories/2014/10/16/4108449.htm