- Attractive salary packaging options available
- Part time (0.8FTE), fixed term contract opportunity until June 2022
Dementia Australia is the national peak body and source of trusted information, education and services for the estimated half a million Australians living with dementia, and the almost 1.6 million people involved in their care. We advocate for positive change and support vital research. We are here to support people impacted by dementia, and to enable them to live as well as possible. Our commitment to a shared set of values shapes our decisions, actions and behaviours towards achieving our core purpose and strategic priorities.
- We connect by promoting a people centred way of working and respecting all
- We collaborate in a supportive manner with each other, other teams, clients and external parties
- We commit to our purpose and direction, accountable for our actions and support the innovations, reshaping the way we do things
Located in Newnham, TAS, the Dementia Support Specialist will provide short-term interventions at key stages of dementia to enhance wellbeing including the delivery of psycho-educational and psycho-social interventions as required to meet individual goals, enhance their wellbeing and maintain quality of life of the person living with dementia, their carers and families.
Reporting directly to the Client Services Team Leader, you will also be responsible for:
- Facilitating individual and group information and education sessions, to people living with dementia, those with cognitive concerns and/or, their families and carers
- Providing support with referrals to diagnostic, health and community support services by utilising local referral systems and supporting clients to navigate the aged care and disability systems as appropriate
- Ensuring services are delivered from an enablement perspective, empowering clients to take an active role in directing their own care and services
- Documenting all client activity and other appropriate information in line with professional and legal standards
To be successful in this role you will be a team player, show an absolute commitment to the delivery of high quality dementia services and support and meet the key selection criteria outlined below.
Key Selection Criteria:
- Knowledge and understanding of the impacts of dementia for individuals, carers and their support networks
- Knowledge and experience of group facilitation and group dynamics
- Empathic approach and the ability to quickly build rapport with a diverse range of clients
- The ability to work with clients in a goal-directed way, develop care plans and implement practical strategies for clients, problem solve and enable positive outcomes
- Excellent verbal, interpersonal and written communication skills, including the use of active listening and reflective questioning
- Agile mindset and the ability to quickly adapt to change
- Formal qualification in a related field of either Social work, allied health, nursing and/or significant experience working with clients in the delivery of a community based service or within a health related field
If you thrive on activity and are looking for the next challenge as part of a dynamic team, we would like to hear from you. In return you will be offered a flexible and supportive environment as well as a number of attractive staff benefits. You will be making a difference in the lives of people living with dementia, their families and friends.
The position description can be found here.
For specific role enquiries, please contact Recruitment at [email protected]
To apply, please email a resume accompanied by a cover letter outlining your response to the key selection criteria to [email protected]
Applications close on Monday, 5 July 2021 at 9:00AM. Applications are reviewed upon receipt so do not hesitate and apply. Dementia Australia reserves the right to close recruitment for this position as needed.
- Previous applicants need not apply
- Applications that do not contain a covering letter that addresses each of the key selection criteria will not be considered.
- We will only consider applications directly from candidates – no agencies please.