Enjoy Being Active
There is strong evidence that suggests regular physical activity is associated with better brain function. Exercise gives our brains a healthy boost.
Physical activity increases blood flow to the brain, stimulates the growth of brain cells and the connections between them, and is associated with larger brain volume.
Being physically active reduces the risk of high blood pressure, obesity, diabetes and high cholesterol, which are associated with an increased risk of cognitive decline and dementia.
Once you get into the habit of exercising you'll wonder why you waited so long - exercise makes us feel good and is a great activity to enjoy with friends and family.
'Being physically active stimulates your brain and strengthens your heart. Move, go outside, take a new step. Because you're vital. Keep Your Life In Mind.'
This is how you can be active in Canberra
- Swim throughout the year in Canberra's indoor or outdoor pools
- Walk the trails at the National Arboretum
- Kick a ball with the family at your local park or oval
- Grab a friend and bike around Lake Burley Griffin
- Get out and enjoy Canberra's bridge to bridge walk
- Take your dog for a jog round Lake Burley Griffin, Yerrabi Pond Gungahlin or Lake Ginninderra
- Explore the many nature walks at Tidbinbilla
- Mountain bike with the family around Mt Stromlo
- Kayak or canoe along Lake Burley Griffin
- Hike up Mt Ainslie
- Get out and nature play with the children or grandchildren
- Become a coach with a local sporting club
- Invite friends over to play petanque or lawn bowls in the backyard
The Latest Research
Making it happen – stay tuned for upcoming events that will show you how to Keep Your Life In Mind