Challenge Your Mind
Keeping your mind active is important to keep it functioning well. Challenging the mind with new hobbies and activities builds new brain cells and strengthens the connections between them.
As we grow older we tend to prefer doing the things we've always done, tasks that we are familiar with - and that's understandable - yet the brain benefits by having to tackle something it doesn't know.
This could be learning a new language, taking up a new sport, doing a course in something you've always wanted to do - anything really as long as it's learning something new.
Challenge yourself often, keep learning things throughout life, and take up hobbies - you can create better brain function and reduce your risk of chronic diseases such as dementia.
'Share in new hobbies and activities to strengthen connections both socially and mentally. Create, learn and explore, because you're vital. Keep your life in mind.'
How you can challenge your mind in Canberra
- Turn yourself into a creative photographer through a CIT Short Course
- Learn to sing and join a community choir
- Immerse yourself in literature and head to an ACT Library
- Deepen your interest in the visual arts and visit the National Gallery Australia
- Immerse yourself in science at Questacon
- Discover our country's stories at the National Museum of Australia
- Learn about our country's social and political history at Old Parliament House
- Exercise your brain and learn with others at University of the Third Age
- Pick up a guitar and have a jam session with some friends
Contemporary, hip hop, ballroom or tap find your style and learn to dance
The Latest Research
Making it happen – stay tuned for upcoming events that will show you how to Keep Your Life In Mind