Your risk of developing dementia may increase if you don’t look after your physical fitness and health.
Physical activity increases blood flow to the brain, stimulates the growth of brain cells and the connections between them, and is associated with larger brain volume. Diet, sleep patterns, hearing and head protection are also factors for good body health.
Lack of regular physical activity is associated with:
- Lower brain function
- Risk of cognitive decline
- Risk of dementia
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Type 2 diabetes
There are many ways to look after your body:
- Follow the National Physical Activity Guidelines for exercise
- Follow the Australian dietary guidelines to eat well
- Adopt healthy sleeping practices
- Look after your hearing and get your hearing checked in mid life
- Protect your head