Launched in October 2013, the Virtual Dementia Experience™ is an immersive, interactive virtual reality experience that invades the senses and takes people into the world of a person living with dementia, simulating thoughts, fears and challenges. It has been experienced by more than 2,000 people including professional and family carers, healthcare professionals, high profile business and community leaders and Victorian and Federal politicians.
The simulation was created in collaboration with Melbourne game developers, Opaque Multimedia, whose team consulted with carers, people with dementia and our educators to develop the technology. It has previously been awarded the 2014 Victorian and National iAwards in Education, the 2014 APICTA Award in Education and most recently won the Microsoft Imagine Cup 2015 World Citizenship Award.
Transforming dementia care education to improve the quality of life for people living with dementia.
The Virtual Dementia Experience™ (VDE™) is an innovative use of game technology to deliver experiential learning to the professional aged care workforce. The game technology was developed in 2013 and the first VDE™ workshop ran in March 2014. A session at the VDE™ takes the participant through a multi-sensory simulation using light, sound, colour and visual content to create a virtual reality experience, immersing you into the world of dementia.
What is the Virtual Dementia Experience™?
The Virtual Dementia Experience™ was developed with the aim to improve the learning outcomes of aged care workers attending education sessions at Dementia Australia Vic. Using game technology, the workshop shifts from an information session to an experiential session and the worker is then exposed to the lived experience of a person with dementia and then develops empathy for that person.
Book online for the next Virtual Dementia Experience:
For all inquiries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 03 9816 5708.
- 2015 Gold Winner - Dementia Australia Vic Virtual Dementia Experience ™ Victorian Public Healthcare Award Excellence in person, family and community-centred care
- 2015 Winner - Dementia Australia Vic and Opaque Multimedia Virtual Dementia Experience™, Microsoft Imagine Cup World Citizenship Award
- 2015 Finalist - Dementia Australia Vic Virtual Dementia Experience™ HESTA Community Sector Awards Outstanding Organisation
- 2014 Winner - Dementia Australia Vic and Opaque Multimedia Virtual Dementia Experience™ at The Perc Walkley Dementia Learning Centre, Asia Pacific ICT Alliance Awards APICTA for eLearning
- 2014 Winner - Dementia Australia Vic and Opaque Multimedia Virtual Dementia Experience™ at The Perc Walkley Dementia Learning Centre, Victorian and National iAwards Education Category
- 2014 Finalist - Dementia Australia Vic and Opaque Multimedia Virtual Dementia Experience™, Melbourne Awards Contribution to Profile
Additionally, Dementia Australia Vic is consistently invited to present the technology at multiple international conferences;