Legally appointing someone to make health and lifestyle decisions

Please be aware that new legislation related to planning ahead – the Advance Personal Planning Bill 2013 – was passed by the NT Parliament in November 2013 and came into effect on 17 March 2014. As changes are made to gradually implement this new legislation, this website will be updated to reflect these changes.

This page provides a plain-English overview of the legal processes involved in planning ahead, as well as links to local information. To get advice about your individual circumstances it is recommended that you consult with one of the agencies referred to below or a legal practitioner.

How do I legally appoint someone of my choice to make health and lifestyle decisions for me if I lose capacity to make my own decisions in the future?

  • You can do this by completing an Advance Personal Plan and appointing one or more persons as your substitute decision maker.
  • You can appoint this person or persons as decision makers for one or more of the following areas: All matters / Care or welfare matters (including health care) / Financial matters / Limited matters only (which you specify).
  • If you appoint more than one decision maker, it is important that you state in the form how you want decisions to be made by these people e.g. always together or separately

Links to local resources

To view information from the NT Government website about Advance Personal Planning, download a copy of the Advance Personal Plan form and get information about witnessing and registering a completed form, click here

Council on the Ageing (Northern Territory) Inc (COTA NT) is available on (08) 8941 1004 to discuss the application of the Advance Personal Planning Act or to refer you to appropriate Government support services.

Step 5: How else can i document my wishes?