How do I make a will?

Please be aware that new legislation related to planning ahead – the Advance Personal Planning Bill 2013 – was passed by the NT Parliament in November 2013 and came into effect on 17 March 2014. As changes are made to gradually implement this new legislation, this website will be updated to reflect these changes.

This page provides a plain-English overview of the legal processes involved in planning ahead, as well as links to local information. To get advice about your individual circumstances it is recommended that you consult with one of the agencies referred to below or a legal practitioner.

How do I make a Will?

  • The legal basis and general nature of Wills is the same across Australia.
  • While you can make your own Will with a Will Kit from a newsagent or the Internet, it is recommended that you get legal advice in making a Will.
  • This is done through a private solicitor, a community legal centre or from a government service – Public Trustee for the Northern Territory.
  • The Public Trustee also offers a Will storage service.
  • There will normally be some fee associated with making a Will and it is best to find out about this before you start the process.

Links to local resources

To view information about making a Will on the Public Trustee website, click here

The Public Trustee can be contacted here or by calling (08) 8999 7271.

Step 2: Legally appointing someone to make financial decisions