Where will my documents be recognised?

Please be aware that new legislation related to planning ahead – the Advance Personal Planning Bill 2013 – was passed by the NT Parliament in November 2013 and came into effect on 17 March 2014. As changes are made to gradually implement this new legislation, this website will be updated to reflect these changes.

This page provides a plain-English overview of the legal processes involved in planning ahead, as well as links to local information. To get advice about your individual circumstances it is recommended that you consult with one of the agencies referred to below or a legal practitioner.

Will my advance directive and other legal documents relating to planning ahead from other parts of Australia be accepted in the Northern Territory and will documents written here be accepted in other states and territories?

  • The Advance Person Planning Regulations lists a number of interstate documents that are accepted as valid documents in the NT. Even with this list, it is difficult to give exact answers to this question that will be accurate for each person’s circumstances.
  • If you have moved to the Northern Territory from interstate, we recommend you contact the Office of the Guardian in the Department of Health on (08) 8999 2400 to discuss and clarify your situation.
  • If you are moving from the Northern Territory, we recommend you contact the guardianship authority in the State or Territory to which you move to clarify your situation.
  • If you cannot get clear answers, it may be best to redo your documents using the forms available in your new location.