Who will the doctor ask to give consent?

Please be aware that new legislation related to planning ahead – the Advance Personal Planning Bill 2013 – was passed by the NT Parliament in November 2013 and came into effect on 17 March 2014. As changes are made to gradually implement this new legislation, this website will be updated to reflect these changes.

This page provides a plain-English overview of the legal processes involved in planning ahead, as well as links to local information. To get advice about your individual circumstances it is recommended that you consult with one of the agencies referred to below or a legal practitioner.

Who will the doctor ask to give consent for my medical treatment if I am not able to give my own consent?

This is not spelled out quite as clearly in the NT as it is in other States and Territories. The doctor will firstly check if there is an appointed guardian. If there is no guardian, the doctor will check if there is a decision maker appointed under an Advance Personal Plan. If there is nobody appointed as a decision maker, the doctor will speak to family members or close friends. If there is nobody to clearly give consent, the doctor may refer the situation to the Office of the Guardian in the Department of Health.

Should you complete a form under the Advance Personal Planning Act to stipulate your wishes or appoint a substitute decision makers, this can be registered on the eHealth record for advice to the Doctor.

Step 4: Legally appointing someone to make health and lifestyle decisions