Where will my documents be recognised?

This page provides a plain-English overview of the legal processes involved in planning ahead, as well as links to local information. To get advice about your individual circumstances it is recommended that you consult with one of the agencies referred to below or a legal practitioner.

Will my advance directive and other legal documents relating to planning ahead from other parts of Australia be accepted in Western Australia and will documents written here be accepted in other states and territories?

  • In WA, all interstate documents have to be recognised by the State Administrative Tribunal.
  • If you still have capacity, it is normally easiest to complete a new WA directive rather that having to apply to the Tribunal for recognition of interstate documents.
  • If you are moving from Western Australia, we recommend you contact the guardianship authority in the state or territory to which you move to clarify your situation.

Quick contact:

You can contact the Office of the Public Advocate on 1300 858 455 if you have queries about the validity of interstate documents.

Step 7: Advance care planning in Western Australia