“My partner has been diagnosed with early dementia and he wants me to help him make some plans for his future. I really want to help but I am not sure what to do.”
- Adapt your approach according to the person’s needs – for example, they may want you just to listen to their concerns, help them find information or actually help them make decisions.
- Start off by understanding any concerns and issues the person raises.
- You may need to help them find information and the Dementia Australia website(link is external) and/or the National Dementia Helpline on 1800 100 500 is a great place to start.
- You may need to encourage them if the process starts to feel overwhelming.
- Be available to go with them to appointments such as to their GP or a solicitor if they want this.
Offer to help them go through the start2talk model and worksheets found on this website.