You are invited to take part in an international research study that is investigating the effect of three types of physical exercise on brain health and physical function in older people with memory concerns.
What will the study involve for me? The research study involves a 1-year commitment from you. At the start of the study you will be randomised (like the toss of a coin) into one of the three groups:
- Aerobic exercise (e.g. walking on a treadmill)
- Strength exercise (e.g. weight lifting)
- Balance exercise (e.g. balance, toning and mobility)
Each exercise session is supervised by qualified and experienced health professionals. Training sessions will be offered 3 days per week at different times throughout the day over 12 months and take place at The University of Sydney, Cumberland Campus, Lidcombe, NSW. You will also receive medical screening, ongoing assessment of your brain and physical function and MRI scan of your brain at the start and end of the study.
Who can take part in the BRAIN study? This study aims to have 200 individuals participating, who are:
- Men and women aged 60+
- Concerned about their memory
- Able to walk without the assistance of another person
- Fluent English speaker
- Willing to come in for the baseline, 6 month and 12 months assessments over the duration of the study
- Willing to be randomised and participate in exercise 3 days per week for 12 months at the University of Sydney Cumberland Campus, Lidcombe, NSW.
You will not be able to be included in this study if you:
- Have severe Alzheimer’s Disease or another type of dementia
- Live in a high-level residential care facility
- Have had 2 or more strokes in your lifetime
- Have a progressive neurological disease (such as Parkinson’s disease or Multiple Sclerosis)
- Are currently undergoing a major depressive episode or psychosis
- Have medical contraindications o the planned exercise due to chronic or unstable or terminal diseases
- Do not have sufficient vision to be able to read and identify objects on a computer screen and draw on a piece of paper
- Are already engaging in a high level of physical activity (150mins or more of moderate intensity exercise per week)
- Planning to be away for 4 or more consecutive weeks over the next 12 months.
This project has been approved by The University of Sydney Human Research Ethics Committee, approval number 2017/368.