Thank you for your interest in volunteering with Dementia Australia Vic
We are a leader in the prevention of dementia, while valuing and supporting people living with dementia.
Volunteers are an integral part of our organisation – some have joined us after caring for a family member with dementia; others want to contribute to the community or give back to it; still others want to offer support after working in the field. Volunteers assist Dementia Australia Vic in a variety of ways:
- Increasing community awareness of dementia by assisting with Volunteer community speaking; Expos/community events & Role play simulations
- Supporting people with dementia and their families at Family Information and Support Sessions; and Memory Lane Cafes
- Supporting people with dementia to live well with dementia building on their passions, strengths, and interests; and supporting them to participate in person-centred activities, including volunteering
- By providing practical support packing resources and assisting with mail outs
How to apply to Volunteer
Dementia Australia Vic has a highly developed volunteer program that assists our volunteers to be well trained and confident in how best to support our clients and programs.
There is a screening process for all prospective volunteers which includes: the completion of an online registration process, an information session, interview, police and reference checks.
We also have two additional expectations:
- To assist volunteers to be well equipped and confident in their roles, we have a mandatory induction program for all new volunteers. Also, depending on your volunteer role, there may also be additional orientation requirements.
- New volunteers commit to volunteering over at least a 12 month period. Frequency of volunteering over this time is worked out given your availability and the requirements of the role.
As we work collaboratively with our volunteers, we spend considerable time ensuring that they are offered roles that continue to be enriching and rewarding for them. The result is a volunteer program which has great outcomes for our clients, services and volunteers.
The other significant outcome of this approach is that we have a high retention rate of our existing volunteers thus impacting on our need for new volunteers. As a result, we are only able to include a small number of new volunteers each year. If you would like to be considered for one of these roles, please complete our online volunteer recruitment process and we will contact you should your area of interest and availability match an area of our future need. To access our online volunteer recruitment process, please click here.
If you are living with dementia or someone close to you has been impacted by dementia, you may consider joining our Dementia Consumer Network:
Also, if you would like to seek other volunteer opportunities, you may consider contacting:
Go volunteer or your local volunteer resource centre:
Thanks again for your interest.