About the Dementia Advocates Program
The Dementia Advocates Program provides an opportunity for people living with dementia, carers and former carers to share their stories, identify current issues and positively effect change.
All you need to be part of the program is an interest in wanting to make a difference. Dementia Australia and Dementia Advocates work together to raise awareness of dementia, to tackle stigma and discrimination, and to influence decision-makers across government and the aged care and disability sectors.
Who can become a Dementia Advocate?
- A person living with dementia,
- A person providing informal care to a person living with dementia,
- A former carer
What does being a Dementia Advocate involve?
The first step is getting to know the Dementia Australia Consumer Engagement team and the team getting to know you.
Dementia Advocates are invited to participate in a range of activities which we promote under the broad banner of Dementia Advocacy, including:
- Sharing your thoughts and experiences through surveys, workshops or interviews
- Working with researchers and research funders to set research priorities
- Participating as a representative on advisory boards or committees
- Raising awareness by being involved in media campaigns, public speaking and/or blog writing
- Providing feedback on policy, program, services and/or new technology
If you decide to become a Dementia Advocate you can be involved as much or as little as you like.
How do I join?
We are always looking for interested people.
To complete an online application form please click here.
You can step down from the Program at any time. There is no minimum commitment and you can choose how and when you want to participate.
If you have any questions or would prefer to complete the online application form over the phone please contact a member of the Consumer Engagement team.
You can do this by emailing [email protected] or phoning the Consumer Engagement Coordinator for the State or Territory you live in.
- NSW and QLD - Joanne Kershaw - 0409 063 877
- VIC and TAS - Kerri-Ann Tipping - 0436 276 084
- SA, WA and NT - Jackie Hayes - 0490 427 779
- ACT and DAAC - Elena Sutcliffe - 0429 515 957