In this video, presenter Stephen Claney explores Dementia Australia’s Virtual Forest, Virtual Dementia Experience, EDIE and Dementia-Friendly Home App with Dementia Australia CEO Maree McCabe speaking about the benefits of the technology.
This video is part of the #EveryThreeSeconds program, an international awareness raising campaign led by the global peak body, Alzheimer’s Disease International and made in partnership with Dementia Australia and ITN Productions.
To read more about the Australian element of the campaign, visit https://www.dementia.org.au/media-releases/2018/every3seconds-someone-globally-develops-dementia
Alzheimer's disease is the most common cause of dementia, affecting over 40 million people worldwide. And though it was discovered over a century ago, scientists are still grappling for a cure. Ivan Seah Yu Jun describes how Alzheimer's affects the brain, shedding light on the different stages of this complicated, destructive disease.
One Australian is diagnosed with dementia every 6 minutes. This panel discussion, hosted by science journalist and broadcaster Robyn Williams AM from Radio National's The Science Show, features insights on the progress Australian scientists are making towards early diagnosis and treatment.
It features AADRF Board of Directors member, Andrew Watts and Dementia Australia Victoria Research Fellow, Dr Maree Farrow.
This 3D animation (developed by the CSIRO) takes you deep into the brain to understand how plaque build-up on brain cells occurs during Alzheimer's disease.
Video transcripts are available here: http://www.csiro.au/news/transcripts/YouTubeTranscripts/2015/Feb/Alzheimers-Enigma.html
Dr Kristine Yaffe speaking at the launch of Dementia Awareness Week 2013 at a seminar at Parliament House in Sydney. Dementia Awareness Week is the national flagship week for Dementia Australia's community awareness activities each year. The theme of Dementia Awareness Week 2013 was Brain Health: Making the Connections with the seminar focusing on maximising cognitive health.
This year, in recognition of World Alzheimer’s Day, the Alzheimer’s Australia Dementia Research Foundation, with the support of Alzheimer’s Australia and KinCare, organised a dementia research panel discussion titled Quality dementia care – what do we value?
Presented by Dr Norman Swan, ABC Radio National's Health Report host, the panellists included:
- Mr Trevor Crosby, Dementia Australia Dementia Advisory Committee Member.
- Dr Ron Petersen, Director, Mayo Alzheimer's Disease Research Centre and the Mayo Clinic Study on Aging.
- Professor Susan Kurrle, Geriatrician and Director, Cognitive Decline Partnership Centre.
- Professor Elizabeth Beattie, Director Dementia Collaborative Research Centre – Carers and Consumers.
- Ms Therese Adami, Chief Operating Officer, KinCare.
- Ms Maree McCabe, Interim Chief Executive Officer, Dementia Australia National.
READ – A fantastic summary article has been publised in the December 2016 Edition of Dementia News, which you can read here.
This year, during National Science Week (Aug 16-24), the Alzheimer’s Australia Dementia Research Foundation with the support of the Dementia Collaborative Research Centres, the ACT National Science Week committee, Questacon and the ABC network, organised a dementia research panel discussion titled Towards a World Without Dementia – Prevention, Cure and Care.
Paul Barclay from ABC Radio National led the panel on a discussion of questions such as how close researchers are to finding a cure for dementia? How can we reduce our risk of dementia? And where to next with dementia research?
- Ita Buttrose AO, OBE - Journalist, author and National Ambassador for Alzheimer’s Australia
- Scientia Professor Henry Brodaty AO - Co-Director, Centre for Healthy Brain Ageing and Dementia Collaborative Research Centre, UNSW
- Professor Kaarin Anstey - Director, Centre for Research on Ageing, Health and Wellbeing and Dementia Collaborative Research Centre, ANU
- Dr Zoe Terpening - Clinical Neuropsychologist, Brain and Mind Research Institute, Sydney Uni
- Christine Bryden - Dementia advocate, author and living well with a diagnosis of dementia
This clip was downloaded from ABC Big Ideas website - the original can be found here - http://www.abc.net.au/tv/bigideas/stories/2014/10/16/4108449.htm
Dr Bryce Vissel speaking at the launch of Dementia Awareness Week 2013 at a seminar at Parliament House in Sydney. Dementia Awareness Week is the national flagship week for Dementia Australia's community awareness activities each year. The theme of Dementia Awareness Week 2013 was Brain Health: Making the Connections with the seminar focusing on maximising cognitive health.
Meet some of Australia's dementia researchers funded through donations to the Dementia Australia Research Foundation.