Skip to main content

If you live with dementia, you might need extra help in your everyday life. Home care services provide support in your day-to-day activities, helping you live independently at home for longer.

Types of home care services

Home care services can help with daily tasks and your health and safety needs. They include:

Accessing home care services

You can access home care support through paid carers, community programs or private fee-for-service organisations. You may be eligible for Australian government funding for these services.

Home care providers charge different fees and offer different services. Research and compare providers in your area. Find local providers through My Aged Care, talk to other people, and get recommendations.

Government-funded home care support for people over 65

If you’re 65 or older, you might be able to receive subsidised home care support through the Commonwealth Home Support Programme or Home Care Packages.

These are the steps you need to follow to apply for funding. A family member or friend can help you through the process.

  1. Check your eligibility and apply for an assessment on the My Aged Care website. You can also call My Aged Care on 1800 200 422.
  2. If your application is successful, My Aged Care will assess you at home. If it sounds like you need limited support, you’ll be assessed by a Regional Assessment Service (RAS) for the Commonwealth Home Support Programme. Or, if your needs are more complex, you’ll be assessed by an Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) for a Home Care Package.
  3. If you’re eligible for funding, you’ll receive a support plan. The plan will list the subsidised services that you can access.
  4. Choose your home care provider and the types of services you want to use. Once you’ve selected a provider, they’ll work with you to develop your care plan. They’ll also coordinate your services and fees.

Government-funded home care support for people under 65

If you’re under 65, you can apply for home care funding and support through the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS).

For more information, read our page on NDIS support.

Learn more

Understanding and navigating home care can be confusing. These are some resources that can help:

  • My Aged Care: Detailed information about subsidised home care services, assessments, and service providers. You can also call My Aged Care on 1800 200 422.
  • Carer Gateway: Practical information and resources for carers, including support services and respite care. You can also call Carer Gateway on 1800 422 737.
Share or print
Last updated
4 January 2024